Wednesday, June 25, 2014

R.I.P Eli Wallach


Eli Wallach, who played "The Ugly" in Sergio Leone classic "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", has died at the age of 98. His acting career spanned 60 years and he also had important acts in classics like The Magnıfıcent Seven and The Godfather Part III.

I have last seen him in 2010 Academy Awards and suprised to see him alive indeed. For me, Eli Wallach is Tuco of the most unforgettable movie of all times : "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". When I first watched the final duel scene of this movie in 80s, I was literally blown away. In those dark ages before internet the only option to watch it again was to wait for a TV channel to broadcast it again (usually a few years later) or beg daddy to rent a video of the movie which was not avail. Since the first time, I watched this movie at least 10 times more.

Below is the "Sad Hill Cemetery" Mexican duel scene. The Good (who indeed is not a good person), The Bad (who is not worse than the other two) and The Ugly (not ugly but crummy) fıght over money while "The Dead" are laughing at them (Sergio Leone wanted the music to sound like laughter of the dead from their grave).

R.I.P Eli Wallach.



No comments:

Post a Comment