Monday, March 7, 2011

Tom yum goong plus pineapple rice


Tom yum goong plus pineapple rice are my favorite pair of food in Singapore. Although these are Thai dishes, I prefer to eat them in Thai-Chinese restaurants because a little bit Chinese touch,in my opinion, makes them better. My favorite place to eat these dishes is "Maggie Thai & Chinese Restaurant" in Liang Seah Street (a famous food street in Singapore just next to Bugis Junction). This place has a simple setting, good service, delicious and reasonable priced dishes. It is also very convenient place for me, just near to Bugis junction which also has an overpriced food court in it (recently a stall employee, probably thinking that I am a tourist, tried to charge 12 Singapore dollars for a single dish so I prefer to not go to Bugis Junction food court any more). They have other good dishes which are also my favorite but these two are the most I like.

tom yum pineapple rice Maggie Thai & Chinese Restaurant, Singapore
Pineapple rice plus Tom yum soup with Tiger Beer
The price is ok, the dishes I ate yesterday (see the photo above) cost me 7.50 Singapore dollars and I paid 5 dollars for a Tiger beer can. They do not bring the glass with ice which is good for me because I hate cold beer with ice!

For those who do not know tom yum, it is a soup from Thailand characterized by its distinct hot and sour flavors, with fragrant herbs. The basic broth is made of lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice, fish sauce and crushed chili peppers. They usually make tom yum with prawns (tom yum goong or tom yum kung), chicken (tom yum kai), fish (tom yum pa in Laotian and tom yum pla in Thai), or mixed seafood (tom yum thale or tom yum po taek) and mushrooms. The soup is often topped with fresh chopped cilantro (coriander leaves). It is highly popular in Singapore as well as other neighbours of Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment