Monday, January 28, 2013

Singapore Permanent Resident Status 2013 and beyond


Singapore  immigration framework was tightened in 2009 and according to a newly released population white paper, the current levels of relatively tightened immigration framework is to stay here. For example, after peaking at 79,000 new Singapore Permanent Residents in 2008, number of Singapore PR intake is sharply reduced starting from 2009. Singapore Population White Paper says that there will be no increase in the number of PR intake in the near future. The paper, which outlines a target 6.9 million population in Singapore by 2030 and a 15,000 and 25,000 new Singapore citizens intake each year, says that current pace of about 30,000 Singapore PR intake per year will be maintained:

Permanent residence is an intermediate status through which foreigners take up citizenship. It is meant for those who have a long-term stake in Singapore and intend to sink roots here. We have tightened up significantly on the number of PRs granted each year. We have come down from a high of 79,000 new PRs in 2008 to about 30,000 each year currently. We plan to maintain the current pace. This will keep a stable PR population of between 0.5 and 0.6 million, and ensure a pool of suitable potential citizens.
The white paper also highlights target population composition:

With this controlled immigration rate, the citizen population is projected to be between 3.6 and 3.8 million by 2030. Together with the PR population of 0.5 to 0.6 million, this gives a resident population (comprising citizens and PRs) of between 4.2 and 4.4 million in 2030, depending on birth rates, immigration and life expectancy.

The white paper defines Singapore Permanent Residency as an intermediate step towards Singapore Citizenship:

Permanent residence is granted to those who have a long-term stake in Singapore and who intend to sink roots here. It is an intermediate step through which foreigners take up citizenship in Singapore. As with Singapore citizenship, applicants for permanent residence are comprehensively assessed. Since the immigration framework was tightened in 2009, we have significantly reduced the number of PRs granted each year, from a high of 79,000 in 2008. We have been taking in close to 30,000 new PRs in each of the last 3 years, and plan to continue at this calibrated rate.  This will keep the total Pr population stable at between 0.5 and 0.6 million, and ensure a pool of suitable potential citizens.
See the whole white paper here: A sustainable population for a dynamic Singapore - Population White Paper.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I have taken a look at the PR 2013 outlook mentioned above.

    It looks like indeed the 2008 year is the best time to apply. Now for me, I am 47 yrs old this year. I got my PR in November 2008 and I am considered very lucky to get it on time. However, I'm renewing my PR later on Sep 2013 as my PR is expiring.

    I heard from many people outside that it will be hard for someone who is above 45 yrs old and only earning $2100 salary as I do. Older applicant needs to earn higher income of minimum $3k above. Moreover, I'm still single and not married to a Singapore Citizen. However, I am renewing my PR and I heard there is a slight different between an existing PR and newcomer. Is it true or renewing is almost the same nowadays with the newcomer? If yes, I think I got very high chance of not being renewed!

    I need some advise! Thank u.

    ReplyDelete