Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Hotel Mermaid Bangkok Review


When I visit Bangkok, I stay at Sukhumvit Road. This area is easily accessible from Bangkok Airport (see Bangkok Holiday - From Singapore to Bangkok) without a taxi and also thanks to SkyTrain it is easy to access anywhere in Bangkok from here. Moreover there are many restaurants, bars, shopping malls, etc. on the road for your pleasure and convenience.

Last time I was in Bangkok I have stayed in Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 Hotel near Nana SkyTrain Station and was quite happy with the hotel and the location which offers a nice night life options (no I am not talking about Nana Entertainment Plaza and boogy nights but Soi 11 itself, bars and restaurants :)). I have also performed a 1 day Bangkok Tour starting and ending in ALoft Bangkok which you can read here: Bangkok Holiday - 1 Day Itinerary.

2 weeks ago, a friend of mine came to Singapore from Istanbul and flew from Singapore to Bangkok. She wanted some hotel recommendation and I have sent her the booking link for Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 Hotel and told her check out other Sukhumvit Hotels also if the price is high. She ended up booking this Hotel Mermaid Bangkok on 6 Soi Sukhumvit 29. Here are her reviews on the hotel (I have not stayed there).

Hotel Mermaid Bangkok is accessible by Asok or Phrom Pong BTS Skytrain Stations. Asok looked near to me so I have left there and took a short tuk-tuk ride to the hotel. If you have a backpack you can also walk but the area is very crowded in the night and it is hard to walk.

This is my first time in Bangkok so I cannot compare it to the other hotels in Bangkok. But overall, I really enjoyed staying in Hotel Mermaid Bangkok. The price was very right (booked through Hotel Mermaid Bangkok Agoda page and stayed there for 2 nights for a total of 70 USD) and the hotel was quite comfortable. My advise is book online for cheaper rates :)

My friend living in Singapore told me that a 4-Star hotel in Bangkok or Thailand is equivalent of a 3-Star hotel back in home so do not judge it by its stars. In fact Hotel Mermaid was quite nice and comfortable. The room was high quality, large and new. I think hotel is also quite new. And the WI-FI in the room was very satisfactory. I booked a studio room and it was small but enough.

Hotel Mermaid Bangkok Pool
The pool at Hotel Mermaid Bangkok. A pool is a must after a hot and humid Bangkok day.
In this price range, the breakfast was also quite OK, nothing to complain. I really give top marks to staff who were very helpful. Location is actually not that near to BTS Skytrain but still walk-able. But this relatively long walk also makes the price reasonable I guess. Accessing BTS Skytrain easily (for me it was OK) makes you almost entirely bypass terrible Bangkok traffic. Sukhumvit MRT Station was also accessible which makes public transport easier.

The hotel is walking distance away from two nice shopping malls: Emporium and Terminal 21. Terminal 21 is a very nice place to dine.

Overall the staff is nice, the location is great, the room was good and the hotel's pool and restaurant were decent. I recommend Hotel Mermaid Bangkok to those who would like to visit Bangkok.

No comments:

Post a Comment