Saturday, November 19, 2011

Singapore to KL for a business trip day


I have flew to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, from Singapore last week for a single day business trip with Air Asia. It may sound weird to use a budget airliner for a business trip but it is becoming a norm here for businesses to find ways to cut cost. Anyway, the flight is only 45 - 50 minutes and Air Asia flies from Singapore Changi Terminal 1.

It has been 2+ years since I have visited Kuala Lumpur, referred simply KL in Singapore and Malaysia. I have always visited here for a day long business trip and never had a chance to come as a tourist. So my knowledge about the city is very limited. This time I had 5 hours between my arrival and the conference I was attending so I have decided to take the train instead of a taxi from KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport).

I have decided to take KLIA transit to the KL Sentral, the central train station of KL. KLIA Expres and KLIA Transit link KLIA directly to the city center and it is a very convenient and cheap way to go to the city from the airport. But Air Asia arrives to Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) so I will first had to find a way to access the train from there. Look for the Express Rail Link in the LCCT and buy a ticket from there. The ticket, I paid 25 RM, includes a bus service from LCCT to Salak Tinggi station where I have taken KLIA transit to KL sentral. In KL sentral you can either take Mono Rail (MR) or Light Rail or a taxi. I have taken mono rail because my company's office was 5 minutes walk from a MR station. Unfortunately, they are constructing a large building next to KL Sentral and I needed to walk around it about 500 meters from KL Sentral to MR station.

If you want to take a taxi from Kuala Lumpur International Airport to KL, you need to note that only Airport Limo limousines and budget taxis are allowed to pick passangers at the airport. Outside the domestic and international arrival gates, find the Airport Limo counter and buy coupons from there. A budget taxi is perfectly fine and will cost a fixed price, something around RM 75 to get to Kuala Lumpur. If you do not ask for budget, they will give you a premier car which has nothing to be called premier but is RM 25 more expensive.

KL City Center (KL Tower on the left and Petronas Towers on the right)
Does it worth to visit KL? In my opinion, it worths to visit Kuala Lumpur. It offers great value to price in hotels, very good food and very good shopping opportunities. I decided to come back next time for a weekend with wife, after all these business trips and 6 years in Singapore it is shame I have not paid a proper visit to KL yet.

While going back to airport in the night, my Malaysian colleagues insisted me to stay more and then I had to take a taxi to LCCT. They have dropped me by one of these premier taxi counters, next to Shangri La Hotel Kuala Lumpur from where the taxi meter wrote RM 154 to LCCT.

See also How to go from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.
      hotels booking Singapore

      Delete
    3. This is a good post. This post give truly quality information.I’m definitely going to look into it.Really very useful tips are provided here.thank you so much.Keep up the good works
      driving in singapore

      Delete